Dear Fellow Plant Lovers,
The murder of George Floyd on May 25th, 2020 has created a long overdue wave of change in our country. Our company wants to be a positive part of that change. We are trying to be as transparent and non-performative as we know how in our company and personal commitment to anti-racism. We will continue to update this page as we keep learning and making changes to our company, but here is our current list of actions and plans for the future:
- We are donating 10% of all sales from 6.1.20-6.6.20 to NAACP*
- We are looking into local Riverside and Southern California charities that focus on the needs of the Black community to create a more long term donation plan with over the next three months. We will update this as we finalize the details.
- We are looking into training for both ourselves (Mackenna and Leland) and our staff to specifically begin our educational journey of anti-racism. Many of the online courses are already full, but we hope to have a specific online course paid for and begun by the end of June.
- We are committed to amplifying the voices of Black people in the houseplant community. During the week of 6.1.20, we are featuring Black plantfluencers each day. We will continue to feature Black and other POC in our industry at least monthly moving forward.
- We generally only gift product to plantfluencers rather than paying them outright for posting about us, and we are creating specific tiers based on number of followers to make sure we compensate our Black plantfluencers with the same amount as any other plantfluencer we work with.
- We are open to any and all questions, critiques, and criticisms you have to offer. Please email us at email@example.com if you want to discuss anything we have stated here, have any questions or concerns, or simply want to make sure we're staying accountable for the plan we've outlined here.
For anti-racism resources for yourself, please consider visiting the following websites:
* We had initially planned to donate to the Black Visions Collective, but as they were receiving a large number of donations, they asked that people donate to other organizations.