Real People Love Plants: An Interview with MaryRose Go
Posted on April 26 2018
Welcome back to our blog series: Real People Love Plants! Real People giving their tips on keeping houseplants alive and looking stylish, while working full-time jobs. This week we talked to the hilarious MaryRose Go, @soiledplanties on Instagram, about her take on plant styling.
1. What is your very favorite plant?
It's hard to choose! I can't choose. Sorry, you can't make me. (Scindapsus Pictus 'Exotica'...but don't tell the others!)
2. What sparked your love affair with plants?
Macro photography. I love taking close-up photos of anything, and plants are the perfect subjects. Plus plants make the home feel cozy and comfortable.
3. What was the first plant you fell in love with?
Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii'. The first plant I've ever called my own. Such a classic beauty.
4. Where do most of your plants live?
They're sitting on top of a Kallax bookcase in front of an itty-bitty west facing window. It's getting pretty crowded there! I do have a lot of wall space, though...
5. If you and your favorite plant had a song, what would it be?
Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes and the Brasil '66.
6. Are there any plants you’ve had to break up with?
Yes, with the famous Ficus Lyrata (Fiddle-leaf Fig). I think the fascination stemmed from seeing it on everyone's Pinterest and Instagram. We were on and off for a couple of months, but it just didn't work out. It was too high maintenance for me, and I strongly believe that was the root of the problem.
7. Do you tend to over or underwater?
I tend to underwater just ever so slightly. It's been a bit of a challenge figuring out my plants' watering needs this winter. To take the guesswork out of when the plants are thirsty, my husband got me a moisture meter. It has been super helpful!
8. Do you talk/read/sing to your plants?
Does blasting loud cartoons count? Because I like to think of it as my kids' way of helping the plants flourish. It seems to be helping!
9. Have you made any friendships thru your plant collection?
Yes! It has been really fun meeting people who have the same crazy plant obsession as me. Shout-out to all my planty people!
10. What plant are you dying to find right now for your collection?
A Ficus 'Audrey'. Its leaves are glorious!
Thank you so much, MaryRose, for taking the time to talk to us about your love affair with plants!